Tuesday 17 April 2012

Welcome back to Room 3!


Welcome back to Room 3! I hope that you all had a super break over Easter, did some wonderful home learning, and are ready to go for another awesome term! We are really looking forward to working and playing together (in particular with our new friends from Room 1!), and to sharing our routines and our love of learning with old friends and new ones. 

It would be really appreciated if all new (from Room 1) children could bring their new stationery to Miss Driver before school starts on Monday morning (between 8.30 and 9am) so that we can get it set up and ready to go first thing. As always, families are very welcome in Room 3 before and after school, so do make yourself at home and please come and see Miss Driver if you have any questions :) 

A handy "before school" checklist:
- have I hung my bag on my coat hook (nothing on the floor)?
- have I found my desk and taken my chair down?
- have I put my fruit or vegetable snack in my desk tray?
- have I put my reading bag in the yellow box by Miss Driver's office?
- have I been to the toilet?
- have I said goodbye and thank you to the person who brought me to school?
- have I got my sunshine switched on (my happy face and attitude :))?

This week we begin training for the school cross country, and will continue with our Topic focus, looking at the ways in which people adapt to changes in their lives (like new classrooms ... and underwater classrooms ...). We’ll see Mrs Chan on Monday to practise our Chinese language skills, and will continue to work on our te reo phrases and waiata daily. A group of children will begin kapa haka next week (Monday lunchtimes), with another group waiting for their turn in term 3.  There will be no library day as Anzac day falls on a Wednesday, however children may exchange books during the lunch hour.

A couple of reminders for the term – no toys at school, please. An exception is the “captain's day" (see our whiteboard for when your turn is coming up!) when children are encouraged to bring along something special to share. Children are, however encouraged to bring their learning and discoveries (e.g. written work, nature finds etc) to school at any time to share with their classmates. 

Also, children must keep their shoes on during the winter terms, so please teach your child how to manage their own buckles/laces, or provide slip on/velcro shoes as appropriate (untied laces are a tripping hazard!).

Please note that spelling and facts homework will begin in week 2. This is to give children (and their families!) a chance to ease back into the term with a gentle work load. 

The fabulous Mrs Diane Trengrove will be in Room 3 this Thursday and Friday as Miss Driver is away on leave. Mrs Trengrove is very popular in Room 3 and we are looking forward to seeing her again! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rosie what day and time do you do the cross country practice, i would love to come and watch - thanks Angela :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela

      I'm afraid it's not as tightly timetabled as that as we fit our running around our other class activities whenever we have a few minutes and some energy to spare :) We have a lot of "extras" going on at the moment as well as jump jam for fitness twice a week so it's a very full schedule for our learners. You will of course be invited to the cross country event in week 5 :)

      Rosie Driver

      Delete